ROBO-LAB Automation System
The Robo-Lab software that was built with TVI and LabVIEW provide us with new testing capabilities we didn’t have before.
The Robo-Lab Automation system is a 3 axis simulation system that enables us to test our robot controller and driver in a simulated environment. The UUT is the main controller of the Dolphin™ robotic pool cleaner that controls the robot’s engine, breaks and pump. The system simulates various underwater navigation scenarios including obstacles, pool walls etc. The testing system includes different types of each robot component (motors, brakes, power supplies etc.) and it enables to dynamically set the HW configuration per the tested robot model. The system can interface to different UUT’s and test them automatically on various test sequences.
The Dolphin™ line of robotic pool cleaners includes wide variety of products with different HW configurations. A typical pool cleaning cycle can last several hours of autonomous underwater navigation. As part of the development process, the verification team need to run scenarios of regular navigation, failures and others. Each scenario can take up to several hours. Before introducing automation, the team had to manually configure the HW every time per the tested configuration, had no way to resume or report failed test during the test cycle and had no way to remotely control and monitor the test lab.
- 5 Power supplies PICOTEST (control motor brakes current)
- 1 Power Supply TDK-Lambda (UUT power supply)
- 6 Relay boards – disconnect simulation
- 3 Encoder reader boards – motors rpm
- 1 NI-DAQ – Data Acquisition – Measure motors voltage and current (with signal conditioning)
- ACS Motion Controller/Driver – 3 axis controller
- Serial Communication Card
List of Tests:
- Set UUT’s voltage and current limit
- Set Motion System’s position and velocities
- Read communication parameters
- Set Brakes current
- Read motors parameters (velocity, voltage, current)
- Simulate wall impact
- Disconnect electrical phases of each motor (impellers, drives, servo)
- Delay between steps
- Message popups
- Direction correction
The Robo-Lab software that was built with TVI and LabVIEW provide us with new testing capabilities we didn’t have before. Such capabilities include the ability to manually control the robot controller and monitor it in real-time, define test sequences per product model and HW configuration.
- The ability to manage and dynamically set various HW configuration from a simple user interface.
- The ability to manage, control and monitor hours-long test cycles remotely.
- The ability to simulate complex navigation scenarios and test the robot’s controller in the lab before full system assembly and real-pool tests.
Using TVI allowed us to get our dream test and simulation in much shorter time that we expected. The inherent support of TVI in external program allowed us to combine of manual system control and super sophisticated sequence creation. Our engineers use the sequence editor GUI and the test parameters interfaces to create and edit test sequence and our operators can easily operate the software based on the engineers test sequences.
Author Information:Slava Rotstein
QA Team Leader
Maytronics provides a complete solution for swimming pool care with wide range of automatic pool cleaners, environment-friendly water treatment systems and pool safety products. Customers are residential and commercial swimming pool owners and operators around the world.